Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Remembering Lafayette

American liberty is what the Fourth of July is all about, and Selmians will never forget the help from the Marquis de Lafayette. The Frenchman joined America's fight for independence and did much to strengthen its friendship with France. He spent more than $200,000 of his fortune to help the colonies. This plaque on Water Avenue commemorates Lafayette's American tour in 1825 when he was welcomed with a "frenzy" that today is reserved for rock and movie stars. His steamboat stopped briefly in Selma where one history books notes he was treated to lunch at Woodall's Hotel, then continued to the state capital of Cahaba where he was feted with a grand banquet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was once commissioned to paint this man's portrait and it was given to the people of France. This plaque is appropriate for this holiday.

Abraham Lincoln
the robins
the Japanese Beetles

Olivier said...

belle plaque en hommage à lafayette (un français, cela fait plaisir ;o) ) et je te souhaite une bonne fête du 4 juillet



beautiful plate in homage to lafayette (French, that given pleasure ;O) ) and I wish you a happy spend of July 4

kuanyin333 said...

I like how you honored this special day with your photo and words!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I did paint the portrait and yes I am an artist but I seldom do oils nowadays. I am more involved in digital photography. I used to go to shows each week and won many awards and sold something like 600 paintings and drawings.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo
the other Bumblebee pictures

Janet said...

Abe, you are amazing! Thanks so much for commenting on Lafayette and answering my question.

Kate said...

I wish that more of our French bloggers would have seen this!!