Tuesday, July 31, 2007

August Theme Day: Typical Breakfast

Today is August Theme Day featuring typical breakfasts around the world.
While the post doesn't have to be about what you eat personally, the only place we eat breakfast is at home. So, here's ours: buttermilk biscuits, grits (not instant!), bacon, red grapes or some other fruit, honey, and for me, Plantation Mint tea. The rest of us drink either apple or orange juice or milk. Now, the biscuit is not homemade although we often make them from scratch. This one is from a sack of Mary B's frozen home-bake biscuits that take only 20 minutes to cook. The honey, which we pour over the biscuit and slather with butter, is not actually the southern-born, Winn-Dixie clover brand that I thought it was! My husband just told me that he took some of the honey his dad collected from his honeybee hives and put it in the empty WD jar, because he was tired of spooning it out of a large canning jar! It's much easier to pour from the smaller container.

Now that you've seen a southern breakfast, I have to admit that not many southerners eat like this anymore unless they are at a Cracker Barrel Restaurant where breakfast is served around the clock! More likely, they have a piece of toast, cereal with milk, a Pop Tart or donut!

Now, please visit all the other fantastic breakfasts from one side of the globe to the other!

Saint Paul (MN), USA - Bellefonte (PA), USA - Menton, France - Monte Carlo, Monaco - New York City (NY), USA - Tel Aviv, Israel - Hyde, UK - Port Angeles (WA), USA - Mainz, Germany - Stockholm, Sweden - Paderborn, Germany - Singapore, Singapore - Haninge, Sweden - Nottingham, UK - Ampang (Selangor), Malaysia - Manila, Philippines - Boston (MA), USA - Seoul, Korea - Singapore, Singapore - Joplin (MO), USA - Chandler (AZ), USA - Paris, France - Sequim (WA), USA - Greenville (SC), USA - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Boston (MA), USA - Chennai, India - Madison (WI), USA - Baton Rouge (LA), USA - Toulouse, France - Seattle (WA), USA - Mexico (DF), Mexico - La Antigua, Guatemala - Selma (AL), USA - Wassenaar (ZH), Netherlands - Albuquerque (NM), USA - Cleveland (OH), USA - San Diego (CA), USA - Lubbock (TX), USA - Jakarta, Indonesia - Sheki, Azerbaijan - Sydney, Australia - Mumbai, India - Seoul, South Korea - Cottage Grove (MN), USA - Cypress (TX), USA - Saarbrücken, Germany - Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina - New Orleans (LA), USA - Budapest, Hungary - Kyoto, Japan - Tokyo, Japan - Austin (TX), USA - Singapore, Singapore - Villigen, Switzerland - Montréal (QC), Canada - Stayton (OR), USA - Melbourne, Australia - Silver Spring (MD), USA - Moscow, Russia - Springfield (MO), USA - Inverness (IL), usa - Arlington (VA), USA - Cologne (NRW), Germany - Anderson (SC), USA - Oslo, Norway - Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation - Manila, Philippines - Kajang (Selangor), Malaysia - Maple Ridge (BC), Canada - Bandung (West Java), Indonesia - Stavanger, Norway - Bastia, France - Hong Kong, China - Wailea (HI), USA - St. Louis (MO), USA - Chicago (IL), USA - Rabaul, Papua New Guinea - Sydney, Australia - Bucaramanga (Santander), Colombia - Kansas City (MO), USA - Grenoble, France - Paris, France - Evry, France - Saigon, Vietnam - Prague, Czech Republic - Cape Town, South Africa - Brookville (OH), USA - Brussels, Belgium - San Diego (CA), USA - Wellington, New Zealand - Newcastle (NSW), Australia - Saint Louis (MO), USA - Sharon (CT), USA - Shanghai, China - Zurich, Switzerland - North Bay (ON), Canada - Lyon, France - Naples (FL), USA

31 comments:

Z said...

A serious breakfast! Hadn't expected to see US posts already (not past midnight there as I write this) but there are several up already, so I get an unexpected head start at reading them. My post isn't actually a typical one for me personally as I usually just have a cup of tea or coffee and a slice of bread.

Annie said...

This sure beats my toast and peanut butter breakfast!

Kate said...

Z made me smile. I wonder how many bloggers actually eat the wonderful breakfasts that they are photographing. I'd bet that most typical breakfasts are on the run except on week-ends. Whata ya think?

Lavenderlady said...

Beautifully presented!

Unknown said...

Well done. Looks nutritious too. I sometimes have potato chips and a packet chocolate drinks for breakfast. haha..

Happy Theme Day

R&R said...

Fresh honey ... what a luxury! Here there's a shortage of local honey in the spring when all the Americans try to buy it to help fight their hay fever!

Sally said...

I'm not sure which is the "biscuit" - is it the puffy thing? Cos that looks like what we call a scone. And I have no idea what "grits" are.

Having said that, it looks delicious and I may pull up a chair.

Kate: I eat breakfast every day, and just like what I photographed! I can't abide take away or on-the-run brerakfast.

Mind you I've usually been up at 5.30 and to the gym for a swim beforehand, so I'm ravenous when I get home about 7!

Neva said...

ahhh I LOVE grits with butter!!!

travelphilippines said...

yummmy lovin the bacon and grapes..

Jilly said...

Yummy, looks absolutely delicious and so beautifully presented too.

Gerald (SK14) said...

not quite my cup of tea but very interesting - love the detail in your description

GMG said...

Hearty breakfast, you're having in Alabama... I'm just having a yogurt...

Anonymous said...

The food all looks good. I could eat it.

Brookville Daily Photo-Theme Day

Janet said...

While I've been rambling 'round the breakfast tables, I'm getting ideas for something different to eat for breakfast! I could go for yogurt, more fruit and some of the wonderful pastries. I have never been much on cereal. I eat it dry since milk makes it too soggy to suit me!
Kate, this is our same old, almost every day, typical breakfast! We did have pancakes this morning and usually have them on Sunday too. Sometimes, we have eggs instead of grits or maybe even both! With three boys who had to catch the school bus at 6: 30 a.m., we figured they needed a hearty breakfast since they didn't have a morning break. It was "do without" until lunch! So, it has become a habit. We just get up earlier, and breakfast is served by 6:15 a.m.
In summer, I'm not as hungry and I often skip the biscuit. One of my sons has recently gotten on a pop tart kick. He skipped the pancakes today and had strawberry pop tarts instead.

Janet said...

Hi Sally, you are right. The puffy thing is the biscuit or "scone."
Grits are made from coarse corn with a porridge-like consistency. The kind we cook are the five-minute Quaker Oats grits. We don't like the instant variety. They are too "gritty." I have never eaten good grits in any restaurant with the possible exception of Cracker Barrel. Most restaurants, camps, schools, etc. water them down, and then they are runny. Often, they also don't let the grits cook long enough. The thick, creamy texture is achieved by following the water measurements on the box and pouring the grits into cold water. THEN, turn on the stove until they boil. Turn down the heat, and let them cook slowly.

Olivier said...

un vrai petit dejeuner pour etre en forme pendant toute une semaine ;o).



a true breakfast to be in form during a whole week ;O).

Victoria said...

Ooh, grits! That is my favorite breakfast food by far.

Unknown said...

What a great breakfast, I only eat this good at my Mom's!

Port Angeles Daily Photo

None YourBusiness said...

Looks good. Except that a "typical southern breakfast" that you mention also includes eggs. Fried, scrambled or poached.

JaamZIN said...

you know..for a breakfast I am always too lazy to set up the table like this:) So beautiful!

jeremyDP said...

it looks good : love the grapes, the honey &, of course, the coffee.

Lessie said...

YUM! I like grits, too! :)

iBlowfish said...

This is my kind breakfast, love it! And nice shot too.

lv2scpbk said...

Your breakfast looks good. I love honey in my tea.

Janet said...

Susan inhotlanta, my husband told me I should have included the eggs! But they did not cook too well that morning. Usually, we have either eggs or grits but not always both.

Waldo Oiseau said...

You've gotta have those grits down south!

sonia a. mascaro said...

Humm! It looks delicious!

Tomate Farcie said...

The only thing I don't care for a whole lot is the grits, but that's OK, the rest of the plate would take care of me for breakfast for sure, maybe a little jam on that cute little bread would do the trick :)

Denton said...

I felt guilty not including grits in my photo. I'm glad you have done a better job of accurately representing the South.

NorthBayPhoto said...

Great photo!! I will have to try grits when I'm in the southern USA sometime. I have heard about them before but never really seen a photo of them.

Thanks for visiting my NorthBayPhoto blog.

Sunkyoung said...

It's great to see Southern American style breakfast. Interesting to see you put a chunk of butter on the glass plate. I learnt this from a Dutch friend of mine.