Monday, February 11, 2008

Fire Truck on Duty

Here's a Selma fire truck headed out to a small grass fire last week. The call came on Election Day as voters were marking their ballots at the fire station. But the trucks were already parked outside and ready to go. Have you ever followed a fire truck? It's not recommended since outsiders usually just get in the way, but I did that sometimes when I worked as a newspaper reporter. The worst fire I remember was when Dallas County High School burned. It was the oldest county high school in the state, but a reproduction of the main building replaced it. Another bad fire was that of The Crossing Restaurant by the Pettus Bridge. Now, that space is occupied by Songs of Selma Park.

9 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

I have never seen a bad picture of a fire truck, yours looks great. Never followed behind one, not very safe.

azure said...

I have been reading your Selma daily blog for a week or so and really enjoying it. Learning more about your town. And you're right...Lake Forest Park, is quite forested, in general. Also dark.

Halcyon said...

Nice truck. We have those neon green ones around here. There is just something wrong about that. :)

Z said...

Newspaper reporter? How long did you work as one? With your blogging style, I can totally see it! :-)

Thank you for your visits to Villigen!

marley said...

I didn't think fire trucks were so white, I thought they were all bright red!

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

Ah ah!! So did I!!!
Nice Shot!!!

Ming the Merciless said...

I hear them tearing through the streets outside my windows, siren blaring, every day.

I live one block away from the main avenue so the fire trucks prefer to use the smaller street near me because there is less traffic.

Dan said...

Thank God for those guys who are ready and willing to rush out and contain fires both small and large!

Southern Heart said...

Very nice photo!

I've followed a fire truck before, too (*hanging my head in mock shame* ;)