Wednesday, March 23, 2011

BLOGAVERSARY! The First Four Years


FOUR YEARS and counting!
That's how long the Selma, Ala., Daily Photo has posted a picture-almost-a-day as part of the City Daily Photo Blogs. 
When this blog began, there were more than 200 CDPB blogs worldwide.
We were a cozy family, sharing comments and getting to know each other, our cities and cultures.
Today, there are 1,368 CDPB blogs!

Many of the original blogs no longer exist, while some take occasional leaves of absence as I did recently.
But meeting new photo bloggers and new cities never ceases,
and I've managed to stay in touch with several that I "met" early on...
Kate (St. Paul, Minn.); Honest Abe Lincoln (Brookville, Ohio); Jim (Terrell, Texas); and others.
I can always count on Jack (Hartford, Conn.); Lois (Tallahassee, Fla.), EG WOW (East Gwillembury, Canada); 
Tanya (Roanoke, Va.), Jacob (The Village, Ocala, Cedar Key) Fla.; 
and Leif (Eagan, Minn.) to visit  often and leave a kind comment.  
It's great to have support from fellow Alabama Daily Photo bloggers Virginia of Birmingham and Bfarr of Phenix City.
Then, when I think I've snapped all the possible pictures of Selma and no more are left anywhere,
along come friends and acquaintances donating a few of their photos toward THE CAUSE.
But if it wasn't for Moon in Selma, N.C., I might never have started this extended photo album.
When I saw his blog from a Selma that is much smaller than my Selma,
I figured the project wasn't as difficult as it seemed.
So four years and almost 1,400 photos later...
Selma and surroundings are challenging me to keep on learning and keep on sharing.
So welcome to another year! 
And many, many thanks to everyone!

17 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

oh how sweet, i got a mention!! wow, 4 years already? i joined up sometime in 2008, time sure flies and it's been fun travelling around the world from my computer chair!!
I've taken a few of those breaks myself!
happy anniversary selma, alabama!!
beautiful photo for the occassion :)

Janet said...

Thank you, Tanya. I enjoyed your Athens, Ga., blog, and now I love seeing the scenery around Roanoke.

Jim Klenke said...

Thank you for all of your years of posting. I always enjoy your views of Selma.

Anonymous said...

Well that was a tribute to your followers wasn't it. And to get mentioned is very special. Thanks for that. I have excuses, a mile long, on why I can't seem to get around as much as I used to or would like to. First and foremost, I thought, when I retired I would have plenty of extra time but I never was and since that day in 1976 when I threw my lesson plans away, I have been swamped with things to do and always very little time to do them in.

I am going to be 77 in October. Pat and I started blogging before City Daily Photo existed. We were in it before ModBlog started and we are still in it with Blogger. Will it ever end? Blogging as we know it is being replaced by Facebook at the moment and Facebook seems to be Blogger's nemeses. I don't know what Blogger/Google is doing to recover its dwindling stock of people but they should hurry up or replace Blogger with something better than Facebook.

Lynette said...

Congrats! Hooray! I'm throwing up confetti for you and your blog! Gorgeous photo to go along with your blog birthday. Thanks for stopping by--I don't have any problem imagining what your grandmothers did to get fresh chicken. I witnessed it as a little girl, visiting an aunt and uncle in Texas. Plus, having grown up in Mississippi, I heard plenty of stories about the process.

Rob said...

Congrats! It's been fun viewing the world through photos.

Virginia said...

Oh RR, congratulations on FOUR years of blogomania! If it hadn't been for you, I'd probably have never gotten my blog off the runway. I asked so many stupid questions and you were so patient!

Here's to many more. Keep up the good work. I know the city of Selma loves what you do!
V

Lois said...

I always enjoy your pictures. Thanks for mentioning me and congratulations on your blogaversary!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Happy Blogaversary to you... Four years. I have just passed my three year mark and wonder if I can keep it going.

Sailor said...

Really enjoy your blog and pictures.

Lowell said...

Four years represents quite an investment in this crazy, fun and time-consuming project! Congratulations for staying with it so long. I think you know there are a lot of people in the CDP community who value your contributions and wish you well in the future! I'm one of them!

These blue flowers are a fine example of the kind of photography we have come to expect from Rambling Round!

Janet said...

Well I am overwhelmed at all of your encouraging comments! Thank you for sticking with my blog when I often haven't had enough time to make the rounds of your blogs, but I do catch up eventually!

Moon said...

Congratulations Selma, Alabama on making four years. If not for you Selma, NC would still be looking for a name. You are a tough act to follow, I look at the quality of your beautiful photos and it makes me want to try harder.

Janet said...

Moon, I love your photos, and I noticed the great angle on the one you posted today. And just for the record, I am younger, and it's easier for me to take pictures at odd angles! Thank you for being a great inspiration for me!

Halcyon said...

Happy blogiversary! And love those flowers.

Anonymous said...

I just knew that was wysteria! Saw it everywhere on my trip to Louisiana.

And wow - four years is amazing! Congratulations =)

Jack said...

Hey, I got a mention! Congratulations on four years. I am not even three-fourths of the way through the first year. You do good work and show either beautiful or interesting places, very differnt from Hartford. Keep up the good work.