Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"Humble Beginnings"

I noticed this painting at a recent art show and realized that this lifestyle has nearly vanished. Not many people today live on farms, much less tenant farms, and even fewer have yard chickens to feed. The old, wood-frame tenant houses are about gone too. I don't know if this depiction is that of a tenant house, but a restored one would make a good living-history museum.
An interesting website about the World of the Tenant Farmer in Texas is HERE.
I imagine the lifestyle was similar to that here in Alabama.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Hi there, Stranger! Altho I'm not blogging for awhile, I dip in here and there once in awhile. Glad I saw this today; how could your resist not buying it. It's lovely!

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

You can find houses like is up in the hills near Van Buren. :)

George Townboy said...

That's an awesome piece of artwork! Great post!

Jilly said...

How lovely - I really do like this painting.

Z said...

A lot of people in the developing world still make their livelihoods from farming... And in CH, many people still have yard chickens :-) I received a call from a local lady some time ago, asking if I wanted to set up a standing order for eggs from her hens!