Tuesday, October 2, 2007

King Mausoleum

Here is the mausoleum of U.S. Vice President and Selma founder William Rufus King. I took this photo while choosing a monument for the October Theme Day, so this one came in second. King never actually served as vice president, at least not in the U.S. He was in the Caribbean trying to recover from an illness and took the oath of office there. He died only a short time after becoming VP in 1853. He also served as a U.S. senator, minister to France and president pro tempore of the Senate.

10 comments:

Lavenderlady said...

What an interesting fact...I did not know this.

R&R said...

Such interesting history ... thanks for posting.

Jilly said...

Imposing structure in a beautiful setting. Very interesting. I love all the stuff I learn on DP.

Annie said...

Your photo and comments made me reflect on the things that I might have just missed out on, the little twists and turns of fate. I've gone on to living rewards but King went on to his great one.

Lessie said...

Love that Spanish moss in the background!

NorthBayPhoto said...

Interesting history. Great shot.

Thanks for visiting my NorthBayPhoto blog.

JaamZIN said...

i also didnt know about it. The structure is very impressive and massive.

Chris said...

How interesting! I'm so amazed at what I have learned about Nashville and the world beyond since I started DPB!

Z said...

Did you have a post already on why the town was named Selma? Might be an interesting story there as well...

Bettey said...

Love this pic. I am a huge fan of shooting in cemetaries. They are so interesting. Thanks for the comment on my page!