Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Saving the Gold

Before Wilson's Raiders swept through Selma in April 1865, the owner of this house saved the Bank of Selma gold by hiding it in one of the columns.
Bank President Washington M. Smith sawed a hole in the top of the column, lowered the gold to the bottom, then repaired the hole. Union troops searched and searched for the bank's assets and even used part of the house as their headquarters. After the Yankees left Selma, much of which they burned, Smith cut another hole in the bottom of the column and got the gold. The bank was kept secure.
This home has been featured in years past on Selma's Historic Pilgrimage where visitors viewed barely noticeable seams where the column was cut.

9 comments:

isa said...

What a gracious estate! And I see some Spanish moss, as well (my post today!)...
Ingenious idea for the gold safe ;-)

Anonymous said...

Gosh the picture you took is very nice. Lovely. And the narrative is excellent too.

See the latest windpower technology working here in Brookville.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I clicked on the enlarged view and discovered the rose bush in front is an old variety and I have one just like it. Mine freezes to the ground and begins all over again each Spring.

Sorry, I should have clicked the enlarged view before I commented earlier. I just felt like I needed to tell you that the rose is really something special and is a single rose at that.

Janet said...

Thanks for your comments, Isabella and Abraham. I really didn't know how far south Spanish Moss grew!

Thanks for the rose information, Abraham. It is no telling how old these roses are. They are planted all across the entire front yard and climbing on the iron fence. I just happened to drive through on that street the other day, and the roses caught my eye. I didn't recall ever seeing them in bloom before. Usually, it's the spring azaleas that people drive around to see.

blazek said...

Hey, thanks for checking out my Tempe blog and commenting.

I enjoy your photographs quite a bit. Fantastic subject matter and vibrant colours. Compelling stuff.

lv2scpbk said...

Very pretty photo.

riniroo said...

Excellent history!

Thanks for stopping by!

Squirrel said...

Gracious Estate is right! I have never toured one of these... well not a Southern one. Someday, Selma...

Anonymous said...

Fascinating history! I would have thought the columns were structurally solid....would have fooled me. Then again, it's a point for Sherman's burning campaign since melted gold is still gold.