Thursday, May 17, 2007

Vaughan Regional Medical Center


Vaughan Regional Medical Center is Selma's hospital. At one time, we had three hospitals: Vaughan Memorial, Selma Medical Center and Good Samaritan. The Vaughan was locally owned and operated. Medical Center was owned by a hospital chain, and Good Sam was operated by the Catholic Church. Good Samaritan closed in the 1980s, and later the hospital group that owned Medical Center purchased the Vaughan. Vaughan services relocated to this site, but the name stayed with it. The old Vaughan building, where my oldest child was born, was recently razed.
In this photo, a medical professional building is at right, and behind these buildings is a new outpatient surgery center. Cahaba Mental Health and numerous physicians' offices, dialysis centers, a nursing home and assisted-living facility are nearby.
The medical facilities here primarily serve Selma and surrounding counties.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Bob Crowe said...

Hi, Rambling. Are all VA hospitals designed by the same architect? They may vary in height with the size of the city but the general look and feel is so similar. We have two in STL. In recent weeks, I happened to drive by the VAHs in Indianapolis and Philadelphia. They all seem numbingly similar.

Bob

St. Louis Missouri Daily Photo Blog

Anonymous said...

I go to or have go to our VA hospital in Dayton, Ohio. It is very old and was around during the Civil War but seems to be appropriate for our times too.

I like your narrative that explains all of the buildings and the coming and going of the hospitals (we have a Good Samaritan too and it is still open and very big and busy) and didn't think too much about the kind of day it was and then I click ed on the picture and almost shaded my eyes.

It must have been a very bright and sunny day. It comes through on the enlargement.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Janet said...

Strangetastes, thanks for stopping by.
Sorry, I don't know a thing about the architecture of VA hospitals. Vaughan Regional is a community hospital, not a VA one. I checked the websites for Alabama VA hospitals, and they all look different to me. They are located in Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery and Mobile.
All hospitals are "numbingly similar" to me. (: Fortunately, I have only been a patient for the births of my children.
I believe this hospital was built late 60s or early 70s. But there have been many additions and renovations since then. Our house was also built in the 70s, and to me, 70s architecture was cookie-cutter, energy-efficient everything.
The hospital's website is www.vaughanregional.com

Janet said...

Hello, Mr. Lincoln.
I think that like banks and everything else, hospitals are merging to economize.
It was very bright that day. I usually try to take pictures earlier or later to cut the glare. But I just happened to be driving by with my camera and stopped to get the photo.
Selma has a fairly large medical community for its size, but then it serves outlying areas, up to about 90,000 according to the hospital's website.
You still couldn't get heart bypass surgery here, however!

Bob Crowe said...

Oops - I misunderstood. I should slow down and read things more carefully.

Bob

Janet said...

Strangetastes, no problem. I figured the V in Vaughan and the architecture led you to that conclusion. I have jumped to conclusions myself. Thanks for visiting!