Tuesday, May 15, 2007

First Baptist Gargoyles


First Baptist Church on Lauderdale Street has several interesting gargoyles that are quite unusual for Southern Baptist structures. Most Baptist churches are relatively plain, but the ornate Gothic architecture makes this one among the most unusual and beautiful in Alabama.
I have not researched the symbolism, but this gargoyle appears to be a lion with wings. The Bible refers to a lion with wings as one of Four Living Beings in Revelation 4:7-8. The others were an ox, a man and an eagle. I don't notice these on the church, but their purpose was to give glory and honor to God.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Chris said...

This reminds me of the gargoyles on Notre Dame in Paris - I don't think I've ever seen any in this country. Pretty strange things.

Olivier said...

merci pour ta visite sur mon blog sur evry. Une belle gargouille digne de celle de Notre-Dame de Paris


thank you for your visit on my blog on evry. A beautiful waste-gas main worthy of that of Notre-Dame of Paris

pusa said...

lovely colors!

Dina said...

Gargoyles remind me of Harry Potter and Hogwarts!! I can't wait actually for the last book to be published!! Nice pictures thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Nice photograph. I think you got the names or meanings right too.

Kunterbunt said...

I like those gargoyles. Our Cathedral has a lot and it reminds me of Notre Dame, too.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I was googling pictures of gargoyles (looking for inspiration for a little short story I want to write on my blog this week) and came across yours. Very cool - I think seeing your gargoyle might suit my creative story purposes just perfectly.

Janet said...

Glad to be of help, Lisa. I look forward to reading your blog.