Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cornbread and Blackeye Peas


Cornbread and blackeye peas are a New Year's tradition down South, and nobody serves them better than Selma's Kathryn Tucker Windham. A renowned storyteller, author and keeper of southern tradition and folklore, Mrs. Windham, now in her 90s, annually invites friends from far and near to her home on New Year's Day. From morning til evening, she cooks and serves the foods that are said to bring luck throughout the year...if you eat them.

Notice the china. No paper plates here! Volunteers wash and dry the real dishes so that guests are served in proper fashion.

7 comments:

Kate said...

May sun and good fortune shine down on your Mrs. Windham. Wonderful to be active at that age...my wish and fervent desire!

Charlestonjoan said...

What a lovely tradition! Good for her. Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

Black eyed peas. Love it. Also love mush and milk or fried mush and eggs. I would drive a few miles for mush and eggs.

PJ said...

I meant to do this! Take the photo, I mean. I already ate the peas and greens and cornbread. Do you put a lucky penny in yours? (I always let me son have that '~)

Steve Buser said...

We had our black-eye peas, cabbage and pork roast. We're set for the New Year to start rolling in.

Tracy said...

What a wonderful tradition. Our family never cared for black eyed peas but still make it a point to eat some type of bean on New Year's Day. Happy New Year!

Sally said...

Thanks for the new year greetings -a bit tardy in reply - I am on holidays!
Happy New Year!