Monday, March 9, 2009

Bridge Jubilee '09


Hundreds of people joined in the Bridge Crossing Jubilee march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge on Sunday. This view is from Broad Street looking toward the bridge.

The event commemorates the "Bloody Sunday" March in 1965 and the subsequent Selma-to-Montgomery March for voting rights.

The Jubilee has been cited as one of Alabama's Top 10 Events and this year's speakers included U.S. Attorney Gen. Eric Holder. To read more about this year's Jubilee, click HERE.

Thanks to Christine Weerts for sending the photo!

2 comments:

Virginia said...

Great event. I"d like to hear Eric Holder myself. Your header is spectacular!! Whoooeeeee1
V

Lowell said...

I was almost at the march...but...I do remember, clearly that day. And as a history teacher, I taught about that day...what times those were!