Thursday, July 17, 2008

Checkers, Anyone?

Not far from the Old Depot Museum, Everyman Books offers checkerboard tables on its front porch. Bring your checkers and play awhile, or go inside and browse hundreds of interesting books and novelty collections. The proprietor has everything from old stoves and quilts to jewelry, handbags and area travel information.

Also in the building, Charlie "The Tin Man" Lucas might be found working in his art and sculpture studio.

Then, on the second Friday every month, participate in "Open Mic" Night. Read
your poetry or sing and play your song. Everyone is welcome!

Everyman Books is located on Martin Luther King Jr. Street next door to Holley's Farm and Garden Center.

9 comments:

Halcyon said...

That could also be used as a chess board. :)

Pappy said...

Sounds like my kind of place. Pappy

Jilly said...

Oh what a fabulous love. Love that tin man sign and those chairs.

Virginia said...

Tell Charlie he's really famous now. He's made it on two Daily Photo blogs. Yours and mine. I'd like to see inside his studio. Can you give us a peek???

Janet said...

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, Virginia, I can give you a peek inside Charlie's studio...another post for another day!
Hey, it's really interesting in there!

Dixie said...

Hi -
I stumbled across your Blog and I love it!
I also live in Selma and I have really enjoyed looking at your pics and reading the articles & comments.
What a great job you have done and it's wonderful to see pictures from *home*!
I look forward to visiting daily.
Thanks!
Dixie

Janet said...

Hi there, Dixie. Thank you for your kind comments. I will look forward to having you visit.

Dina said...

Sounds like a fun area. I'd love to sit down there to a game of checkers with you.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

That really sounds like a fantastic place.