Shall we gather at the Beloit Community Center for a history lesson about the first Christian school for African Americans in Dallas County?
It was here...formerly founded as the Beloit Industrial Institute in 1888. A Presbyterian missionary from Wisconsin established the school and founded Beloit, named for his alma mater, Beloit College, in his home state.
The historic marker in front of this building states that "from 1888 to 1923, the Beloit school functioned as the intellectual, social and religious hub for the thriving Beloit community. The school was the first in Dallas County to combine agribusiness training with strong Christian teachings. In 1923, the Dallas County School Board gained legal possession of the school which they retained until 1963 when desegregation and zoning forced the closing of the school's doors. For a period of ten years, the school building was owned by a private business. In 1974 the building was purchased by the Beloit Community Organization. It now functions as a multi-purpose, community center and exists as a shining example of progress, self-reliance and community service for generations of past, present and future Alabamians. (Erected 1994 by the Beloit Community Organization) Location: Dallas County Beloit Community."
Today, there is still a relationship between the northern Beloit and the southern Beloit. Ten years ago, The Beloit Daily News reported that "A delegation of Beloiters will take a 13-hour drive to a Beloit sister city, Beloit, Alabama; Wayne Showers will lead the excursion; he's invited the Alabama city twice and has been to some other cities named Beloit."