Sunday, February 17, 2013

An Old Weathered Cross

There are many crosses in Old Live Oak Cemetery, but this one escaped
 my notice until a few days ago. This old weathered cross stands atop 
what I call the angel monument in the Jones plot. 

The cross is the universal symbol of Christianity, and the hymn,
 "The Old Rugged Cross," is surely one of my favorites.  


On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

9 comments:

Margaret said...

The lighting and your perspective on this are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

As crosses go, this one is rugged looking.

Tanya Breese said...

oh that is beautiful!

This is Belgium said...

I must admit that I did not see this !
what a shame
great photo !
greetings from Brussels
anni

Janet said...

Anni, As long as I have lived here and taken so many photos of that monument, I didn't see it either! The angel is so beautiful, I guess we just focused our attention on her.

Anonymous said...

That's one of my favorite hymns too... this old stone cross is lovely... love the textures... I'm so glad you came by to share on Weekly Top Shot #70!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

What a neat cross. I love your shot! The perspective is so interesting.

SRQ said...

Nice point of view.

Linda said...

Nice photo! Old crosses are interesting to look at.