Sunday, January 20, 2013

Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday

The United States gets a holiday Monday for Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday.

The civil rights leader, who was assassinated in Memphis in 1968, was invited to Selma
 in the 1960s to aid the voting rights movement for black Americans.
 He eventually led the Selma-to-Montgomery Voting Rights March in 1965 
that was protected by the National Guard.

A federal holiday honoring his birthday on the third Monday in January
 was signed into law in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan.
 You can read more about King HERE.

This bust of King is in front of Brown Chapel AME Church on Martin Luther King Jr. Street. 

4 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

Solid and beautiful!

Paper Roses Shadow
Have a blessed Sunday!

Karen said...

I have enjoyed scrolling back through your posts. I remember passing through Selma in the late 60's and I remember the terrible assassination. I was in college in downtown Atlanta at the time. Have a blessed weekend.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I couldn't help but notice the words engraved near the bust: "I had a dream."

Sad.

Shadowy Love Story

SRQ said...

Nice bust of MLK. Lots of important history involving him in Selma. I wonder why the text was changed to the past tense: "I had a dream". I imagine that might have been controversial at the time the piece was installed. Or maybe not.