Friday, January 25, 2013

Federal Facade

Back in the day, the Federal Building in Selma was a busy place.

Several federal offices were housed here,
 and U.S. District Court judges and juries heard cases upstairs.

Trials and hearings that I covered dealt with rural airport drug raids, alleged voting fraud,
 election re-districting and ownership of the former Craig Air Force Base property. 

I can still hear the persuasions of then U.S. District Attorney Jeff Sessions
  and the pronouncements of U.S. District Judge William Brevard Hand.  

6 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

beautiful facade and i love the lamp post too!

SRQ said...

The portion of the facade that I can see is reminiscent of our Federal Building. Former news person...or court reporter? I was in my fair share of courthouses during my previous career too.

Janet said...

SRQ...news reporter. What was your career?

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Looks a lot like the main post office in Columbus, which is also for the federal courts.

hamilton said...

now you have us all curious....

that lamp needs a flame shaped cover, I think.

Kate said...

Looks like a solid building with clean, strong lines.