Sunday, April 13, 2008
Henderson House is yet another structure that was occupied by Union troops after the Battle of Selma when the 1853 Greek Revival home became a temporary hospital for the wounded.
Originally named "Fairoaks," it was built by a nephew of U.S. Vice President William Rufus King. According to the historic marker:
"In 1980, the house was in a poor state of repair and was acquired by the City of Selma as part of a downtown stabilization program. The Alabama Historical Commission provided U.S. Department of the Interior funds which assisted with the city's purchase and the later restoration. Circle "S" Industries, Inc., purchased the property in April, 1981, and restored the house and its original dependencies. On March 12, 1982, the mansion was officially dedicated in honor of Ethel Henderson Striplin, a long-time Selma resident.