St. Paul's Episcopal Church was founded in 1838, but this English Gothic Revival building was completed in 1875, ten years after Civil War Union Gen. J.H. Wilson's troops burned the original structure during the Battle of Selma. During that battle, the church's rector was wounded and the senior warden killed.
This building was designed by the New York firm of R. & R.M. Upjohn. Its first services were held Easter Sunday, and a number of former Confederate officers were members. They included Lt. Gen. Joseph Johnston, Lt. Gen. Joseph Hardee, Maj. Gen. John H. Forney, Capt. Catesby ap. R. Jones, and Capt. Joseph Forney Johnston, who later became governor of Alabama and a U.S. senator.