Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Restaurant on Grumbles Alley

If you want a flavorful, healthy meal in Selma and don't mind waiting longer than fast-food service, The Restaurant on Grumbles Alley may be the place to dine. Located on Water Avenue and Grumbles Alley right by the river, you get homemade food in an historic building.

The meals in this 1800's structure vary from soups and sandwiches to full-course entrees. Try the famous marinated grilled chicken breast sandwich for lunch and cheesecake for dessert. Fried foods such as chicken fingers, crab claws, shrimp and catfish are coated with a light batter and served with vegetables and salads rather than cole slaw and French fries. Red beans and rice is now a staple, and soups are rotated to include anything from chili to clam chowder.

The restaurant was revived in 2005 by the daughter of former Selma Mayor Joe T. Smitherman, who returned to her hometown after a legal career, so naturally the decor features Selma art, photographs and tributes to her father.

Located near an old steamboat landing, the building was once an auction center back in the days when cotton was king.

12 comments:

julia said...

The photos are larger than life and an interesting snoop around Selma and its history and dining out has little surprises and op shops do get you in. Artisian water is a big feature of our outback country as well.

Ioanna said...

I like it very much. The door, the color the style. I'd love to have a meal there.

dr. filomena said...

Lovely photo, I second Ioanna!

Anonymous said...

It is almost like Spain or Mexico. The feelings I got when I first looked at your photo this morning.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Steve Buser said...

I think I gained a couple pounds just reading your commentary.

--steve buser
New Orleans Daily Photo

Annie said...

The prodigal daughter returned - and invested in her former town, and demonstrated her love for her father, too. I would go there, for that as well as for the food.

lv2scpbk said...

Loved reading about this place. Alot of good history. I would wait for a healthy meal.

Susan said...

Wonderful colours and perspective.

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hmmm sounds as a great place to eat, I like the vary of food they make,

Greetings from JoAnn

Anonymous said...

My aunt used to own this place ... it was Major Grumbles. She sold the place to these people who named it the restaurant on Grumbles Alley. I think she might have even sold them most of the recipes too from Major Grumbles. If only this place had passed on to another family member but it's too late now. I will be checking it out soon... cause I am very curious to see what's what since my aunt let it go.

Mark Halpin said...

I work in Selma and have lunch at Grumbles 1 to 3 times a week. It's great! If you're ever in the area it is definitely worth checking out.

mayrdg64 said...

Interesting name for this restaurant. My 4th great grandfather was Major Benjamin Franklin Grumbles and lived in Selma during the early 1800's. My ancestral research indicates he may have been a slave trader during this time and am curious as to a possible connection to this building and restaurant Does anyone know when it was built and by whom?