Three centuries ago, Selma's bluff was known as Ecor Bienville, named
for the French colonizer Jean Baptiste Le Moyne Sieur De Bienville.
When he was only 21, Bienville became governor of the colony
of French Louisiana. He co-founded Mobile and made a friendly visit
to this area along the Alabama River in 1714. The plaque that was placed
by the Colonial Dames of America sits in Bienville Park on Water Avenue.