Monday, October 4, 2010

How High's the Water, Mama?



 To borrow a line from Johnny Cash's song: "How high's the water, Mama?"
"58 feet and risin'!"
The high-water mark for Selma's historic 1961 flood now has an official marker at Valley Creek Park (commonly known as Bloch Park). While the park floods during times of extended heavy rain, it's still hard to believe the the Alabama River and a nearby creek overflowed to this extent!  The flood was caused by low-pressure systems from the Gulf of Mexico that brought up to 18 inches of rain over Central Alabama.

9 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

Thats just scary.

Halcyon said...

That's really high! Hard to imagine.

EG CameraGirl said...

That is a LOT of water1

Anonymous said...

Wow..that is a lot of water!

debisand said...

Wow, that was in 1961! I remember going out in the boat with my Dad to check his trot-lines in Bloch Park, although I don't remember it being called Bloch Park back then. I was 9 years old at the time. We left Selma about 3 months later, when Dad was transferred to Texas.

Janet said...

Thanks, debisand! I've lived here a long time and through a few floods, but I cannot imagine the water getting this high. Was the water also over Dallas Avenue (Highway 22)?
I grew up closer to the Black Warrior River and remember the flood of '61 on it. My dad took pictures. I appreciate your comment.

debisand said...

No, Dallas Avenue wasn't under water, but the water did come right up to the road. I remember it felt very creepy and swamp-like, floating between the trees and kind of dark and all the moss hanging down. It would have been great scenery for a horror movie!

magiceye said...

wow it is scary!

lizziviggi said...

Whoa! I don't think sandbags would have been much help in that case!