April 2 was the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Selma, and members
of the Jeff Davis Artillery fired a cannon across the Alabama River
at the 3 p.m. battle time as part of the official commemoration.
The small, six-pound experimental Brooke cannon was made in Selma in 1864
and used to designed the steel versions. After the War Between the States
was over, the cannon was shipped to a warehouse in Virginia but returned
to the city in the 1930s. It was placed with another one
at the Selma Waterworks until one was stolen.
Then, this one was moved to safekeeping.
Thanks to guest photographer Christine Weerts for the photo!
Linking to City Daily Photo Blogs